Oral DNA Testing in Miami, FL
The oral DNA bacterial test can determine if a patient has any of the 11 different strains of bacteria that scientists have identified as the causative agent of periodontal disease. We at Gallardo Periodontics & Implant Dentistry located in Miami, FL are experts in oral DNA testing.
How does Oral DNA Testing Work?
Gum infections, gingivitis and periodontal disease inside the mouth are more common than most people realize. Periodontal disease is perhaps the most prevalent chronic inflammatory disease in the US population. Early disease diagnosis and treatment, in conjunction with diligent long term maintenance care, are keys to helping patients maintain their teeth.
The majority of the patients we examine who are over the age of 35 and have mild to severe periodontal disease. In most cases, patients are completely unaware that they have gum disease because in the earliest stages, there are no signs of the condition. Not only can gum disease cause discomfort such as bleeding and side effects such as halitosis, but also, it can lead to loss of teeth and cause health problems that include strokes or heart disease.
Fortunately, a new diagnostic test is available that helps us diagnose and treat a patient’s gum disease in earlier stages to reach the ultimate goal of periodontal therapy: tooth retention.
How can my Periodontist use DNA testing to treat my gums?
The oral DNA bacterial test can determine if a patient has any of the 11 different strains of bacteria that scientists have identified as the causative agent of periodontal disease.
This painless, non-invasive test allows us to have a written report with the patient’s results within 7 to 10 days after the sample is analyzed. Our practice uses the DNA STRIP technology from Hain Lifescience to ensure an accurate result.
Need a dentist?
Contact our Miami office today!
What happens after my results?
Systemic antibiotics may be indicated to reduce the risk of sites showing disease progression, and are prescribed on the basis of the clinical need for further treatment. Oral DNA bacterial testing is the only diagnostic procedure that provides information on etiology. Genetic susceptibility may be equally or more important in determining clinical disease and its final outcome.
Periodontal disease or “the silent epidemic” has been linked to heart disease, strokes, diabetes, pancreatic cancer, respiratory diseases, and pregnancy complications.
Who could benefit from oral DNA testing?
Oral DNA testing is appropriate for adults who want to know if they are a higher risk or developing gum disease. If a patient has parents or siblings with periodontal disease, then they are more likely to develop the condition. We may recommend the test for patients who show early signs of gum disease to learn if they have the bacterium that causes periodontal infection.
Frequently Asked Questions About Oral DNA Testing
If you live near Miami, FL, Gallardo Periodontics and Implant Dentistry offers oral DNA testing among its services, and is conveniently located at 2020 SW 27th Ave Miami, FL 33145
Why choose Dr. Gallardo
- Dr. Gallardo has over 25 years of experience offering general dentistry and specialized periodontics to patients throughout South Florida.
- Graduated from the University of Miami
- Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from New York University College of Dentistry
- Accepted into the V.A. Medical Center General Practice Residency Program of the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs where he was honored with the “Outstanding Resident of the Year” Award.
- C.A.G.S. (Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study) from Boston University
- Has lectured nationally and internationally to dentists and hygienists and has been sponsored by companies such as Procter and Gamble to speak on clinical topics related to gum disease and implant dentistry.
- Dr. Gallardo remains on the leading edge of periodontics and implant dentistry through his active and past involvement with University of Florida, Florida Association of Periodontists and North American Society of Periodontists.