Periodontal disease affects millions of people and can lead to bad breath, tooth loss, and bone deterioration. LANAP (Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure) is a revolutionary laser treatment that has been gaining attention for its potential to regenerate bone and combat periodontal disease. This article will discuss the LANAP laser treatment, how it works, and the potential for bone regeneration.
What Is the LANAP Laser Treatment?
LANAP laser treatment is a minimally invasive procedure used for periodontal treatment. Developed in the 1990s, it has been approved by the FDA for use in the United States since 2004. A specialized laser called the PerioLase MVP-7 is used in the treatment to target and eliminate diseased gum tissue and bacteria without damaging the healthy tissue surrounding it. LANAP laser treatment is an alternative to traditional gum surgery, which often involves cutting and suturing the gums.
How Does the LANAP Laser Treatment Work?
Using the specific wavelength of the PerioLase MVP-7 laser, the LANAP laser treatment selectively targets and removes diseased tissue and bacterial buildup in the periodontal pocket, the space between the tooth and gum where gum disease occurs. The laser energy also stimulates the growth of new, healthy gum tissue and bone.
During the procedure, the periodontist will insert a small fiber-optic tip into the periodontal pocket. The application of laser energy to the area results in the removal of diseased tissue and the elimination of bacteria. The laser also helps to create a stable blood clot, which acts as a seal to protect the treated area and promote healing. The procedure is typically completed in one or two sessions, with minimal discomfort and downtime after treatment.
Does LANAP Laser Treatment Bring Life Back Into Bones?
One of the most promising aspects of LANAP laser treatment is its potential for bone regeneration. In many cases, periodontal disease can cause significant bone loss, leading to tooth loss and other complications. LANAP laser treatment has been shown to stimulate the growth of new bone in the affected areas.
X-rays taken before and after LANAP laser treatment have demonstrated notable differences in bone levels, with one example being the bottom teeth (second from left to right), which showcases the effectiveness of LANAP in promoting bone regeneration. While individual results may vary, these findings suggest that LANAP laser treatment may indeed help to bring life back into bones affected by periodontal disease.
LANAP laser treatment offers a promising, minimally invasive approach to gum disease and promoting bone regeneration. By targeting and removing diseased tissue and bacteria without harming healthy tissue, LANAP laser treatment can help patients maintain their oral health and avoid complications associated with conventional surgery.
What Are the Benefits of LANAP Laser Treatment?
There are several benefits associated with LANAP laser gum disease treatment, making it an attractive option for patients suffering from periodontal disease. Some of these benefits include:
- Minimally invasive: Unlike the traditional surgical treatment of gum disease, LANAP laser treatment does not involve cutting or suturing the gums. This results in less pain, swelling, and bleeding during and after the procedure.
- Faster healing: Due to its minimally invasive nature, patients typically experience faster healing times compared to traditional surgery. This means less time off work and a quicker return to normal activities.
- Preservation of healthy tissue: The precision of the PerioLase MVP-7 laser allows for the targeted removal of diseased periodontal tissues and bacteria without damaging the healthy surrounding tissue. This helps to preserve the overall health and integrity of the gum tissue.
- Bone regeneration: As previously mentioned, LANAP laser treatment has been shown to stimulate new bone growth in areas affected by periodontal disease. This can help to prevent tooth loss and other complications associated with bone loss.
- Reduced risk of infection: The laser energy used in LANAP treatment effectively kills bacteria in the periodontal gum pocket, reducing the risk of infection and promoting a healthier oral environment.
What Are the Risks Associated with LANAP Laser Treatment?
Potential risks are associated with the LANAP gum disease treatment, as with any medical procedure. However, these risks are generally considered to be minimal and are often outweighed by their benefits. Some potential risks include:
- Infection: Although the laser energy used in LANAP treatment effectively kills bacteria, there is still a small risk of infection following the procedure. It is essential to follow your periodontist’s post-operative care instructions to minimize this risk.
- Tooth sensitivity: Some patients may experience increased tooth sensitivity following LANAP laser treatment. This is usually temporary and can be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers and sensitivity toothpaste.
- Gum recession: In some cases, LANAP laser treatment may result in minor gum recession. However, this is typically less severe than the gum recession caused by conventional gum surgery.
Is LANAP Laser Treatment Right for Me?
Determining whether LANAP laser treatment is the right option for you depends on several things, including the severity of your periodontal disease, your overall health, and your personal preferences. It is essential to consult with an experienced periodontist, like Dr. Gallardo, who can evaluate your specific situation and recommend the most appropriate treatment options for you.
In general, LANAP laser surgery may be a suitable option for patients with moderate to severe gum disease who wish to avoid conventional gum surgery. It may also be an option for patients who have previously undergone periodontal surgery but continue to experience issues with gum disease.
Frequently Asked Questions about LANAP
Is LANAP surgery worth it?
For many patients, LANAP laser therapy can provide significant benefits, including improved oral health, reduced pain and discomfort, and potential bone regeneration. The minimally invasive nature of the procedure, combined with its effectiveness in treating periodontal disease
How long does LANAP surgery last?
Depending on the severity of the periodontal disease and the specific needs of the patient, the duration of LANAP surgery can vary. Generally, the procedure is completed in one or two sessions, with each session lasting about 2-3 hours. After the initial treatment, patients will need to attend regular follow-up appointments with their periodontists to monitor the healing process and ensure the success of the treatment. With proper oral hygiene and maintenance, the results of LANAP surgery can be long-lasting, helping to prevent the recurrence of gum disease and the associated complications.
Does LANAP stop gum disease?
LANAP laser procedures are effective for treating periodontal disease and can significantly reduce the signs and symptoms associated with the condition. This successful treatment alternative targets and eliminates the harmful bacteria responsible for gum disease, promoting a healthier oral environment.
While LANAP can effectively treat existing gum disease, it is essential for patients to maintain proper oral hygiene and attend regular dental check-ups to prevent the recurrence of the condition. In combination with good oral care practices, LANAP can help to stop gum disease and maintain overall gum health.
Is laser gum surgery safe?
Periodontal laser procedures, such as LANAP laser treatment, are considered to be safe and effective treatments for gum disease. The LANAP procedure is minimally invasive, which reduces the risks associated with traditional surgical methods, such as excessive bleeding and infection. The PerioLase MVP-7 laser used in LANAP treatment is specifically designed to target diseased tissue and bacteria without damaging healthy surrounding tissue, further increasing the safety of the procedure.
However, as with any medical treatment, it is essential to consult with an experienced and qualified periodontist, like Dr. Gallardo, who can assess your specific situation and ensure that the procedure is appropriate for your needs. By choosing a skilled and knowledgeable provider, you can feel confident in the safety and effectiveness of laser gum surgery.